Launched in 2017, The Food Factory is the natural development of the original James Caterers Ltd business, the brainchild of James Barbara, the man behind the vision. It has a proven track record of success stories since its inception in 1989.
James went on to transform a one-man catering business from where he produced and distributed his own delicacies from home, later flourishing into one of the largest and most renowned catering companies on the island.
Today The Food Factory operates a state-of-the-art CPU equipped with the latest technology and equipment. It is the largest and most modern industrial catering facility in Malta, and houses independent and different food production operations seamlessly including:
- Dedicated healthcare catering production unit
- Industrial kitchen for non-healthcare food production and products
- High volume production area for pastry, bakery production and ready-made meals
- Specialised kitchens catering for all dietary requirements including Halal meals.
Energy efficient and certified as a Grade A establishment, the premises holds a Research and development facility , Testing laboratory and an Academy amongst others. The operation within is ISO 22000:2018 certified.
Main Clients include:
- Elderly residing in the community
- Correctional centres
- Nursing Homes
- Retail and Catering Establishments
We cater for the following events:
- Corporate events
- Charity functions
- Home and private dining experiences
- Dedicated team with a passion for creating curated and memorable evenrs
- Event planning and event coordination
Our products include:
- Meal Services
- Cook and Serve
- Cook and Chill
- Cook and Freeze
- Bakery items
We also operate satellite kitchens at:
- Gozo General Hospital
- Saint Vincent de Paule Hospital
Investment in measures and technology to reduce the environmental impact and carbon footprint include:
- 2,000 photovoltaic panels
- Heat recovery ventilation systems
- Inverter driven pumps
- Use of gravity drain systems
- Thermal insulation
- Decreased night shifts to decrease energy needs while maximizing daylight use
The Food Factory has been awarded 2 local sustainability awards for its pro-environmental efforts.